Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Riffing on Summerfield's Fear

Summerfield expresses fear that "process" has become static because it has been institutionalized. She worries that "workshops" will follow a similar fate. A quick survey of composition texts seems to bear out her fears.

Frank Smith, noted literacy researcher and scholar, in Joining the Literacy Club (1988), cautions that "the most misleading metaphors are those that we do not think are metaphors at all" (p. 94).

He identifies five such metaphors, all of which bear some relation to process approaches and pedagogies. The first, "information," is frequently invoked as the primary purpose for writing and learning. The information metaphor transforms all of our activities into what Rosenblatt would call "efferent" activities. Smith suggests that a better alternative would be a metaphor that "speaks to the creation and sharing of experience--the generation of possibilities of knowing and feeling" (p. 97) Next, he points to the metaphor of "process" itself as one that has over-saturated education. Seeing various activities of the brain as processes gives the impression of order and confidence in our abilities, as educators and researchers, to understand finally what is complex and largely hidden. Teaching process, coincidentally, lends itself to the production-line model for schooling, parceling out the constituent pieces of the whole, learning these individual pieces, or in the case of writing, stages, and reassembling the pieces into a cohesive whole, finished product. The danger of this static metaphor, according to Smith, is that it takes "a global enterprise, like writing...stretches it out, breaks it up into parts, and makes it particularly susceptible to programmatic instruction, removing all the sense from what is to be learned and making learning difficult if not impossible" (p. 101). Third, the "skills" metaphor is so often uncritically used. To hear educators speak of improving their students' reading or writing skills conjures up images of athletes practicing for the big game, with coaches looming over, drilling them on ball-handling or free throw shooting. Harste, Woodward, and Burke (1984), in Language Stories and Literacy Lessons, point to the most disturbing implication of such an image: it posits "a behavioral model of language learning by suggesting that a particular environment--a subskills approach--is unquestionably the base from which one begins to study "higher" forms of reading [and writing]" (p. 54). The brain, unlike muscles in arms and legs, does not improve through this kind of repetitive practice, and neither does literacy. Minds grow and literacy expands as a result of meaningful contexts, interactions and opportunities.

The last two metaphors Smith calls out can be lumped together: "levels" and "stages." Each denotes the relative position of a student's ability, or if I may mix misleading metaphors, "skill" in relation to some fixed standard of performance. These terms, like the others, connote deficit. The goal of most writing and language classes is to move the learner from level to level, stage to stage, toward greater proficiency and fluency. The danger, of course, is that this kind of talk might encourage more of us to teach to levels and stages rather than teaching to make learning meaningful to individuals.

4 comments:

  1. Although connected to Dr. Houp's Summerfield post, I'd like to transition to Boquet and Pemberton. First, I think Boquet addresses part of our discussion from today's class-is it okay to "give" students concrete options or must we doggedly rely on the questioning method and force students to trudge through the unknown to hopefully find a glimmer of "known."(I didn't mean for the end of that sentence to be so cynical. I think inquiry is a HIGHLY valuable tool in any context. In fact, I hope to ask more questions in my 1010 classes than I answer.)I see the writing center as a place of and for students, and if students sometimes need very basic and direct modeling or scaffolding in a brief 30 minute session, then so be it, if it'll help the student in her writing. But as with so many lines that we make in society, this does create a new line that must be crossed and re-crossed. Becoming an "answer crutch" for students is not the writing center's purpose either, and so I personally utilize my "answer giving" only when I feel it is most painfully appropriate. Some students do just need someone to ask more direct questions; some need it spoon fed once or twice. (I know I certainly did.)

    So this dilemma of to give or not to give, leads me to the issue Boquet reviewed of the writing center as individual or society. I do believe in the importance of writing centers tapping into the inherent societal nature of language and communication, and I believe this should be a fully integrated society. The University of North Carolina's "CC" post script on grades made me laugh. The professors were diagnosing their students with a "composition condition" and carting them off to the writing center just like a doctor would be diagnosed a patient with TB and send him to the sanitarium! Bah! The medical metaphors still abound. A "sickly" society is obviously not a fully-integrated society, and so this is (as we have said numerous times) not the type of society for the writing center. Yet it also isn't the writing center's job to act as psychotherapists and mainstream socially awkward, highly-intelligent students! (Double har.)So, how do writing centers create a fully-integrated, productive writing community? Well, gosh, I don't know. But I do know that I like Boquet's call for "excessive" writing centers that push the boundaries of what "is" and "is not" writing center theory, pedagogy, and community. And speaking of community, I enjoyed Pemberton's history of writing centers through the Writing Lab Newsletter, mainly because it focused on how writing centers built a community in which they could create a sense of legitimacy and continue to thrive. However, I do take issue with Pemberton when he says that the "only way for writing centers to escape the stigma of their second-class 'service-function' . . . is to enhance their intellectual credentials, to conduct research and apply theory in ways that other academics will recognize and value" (30). I am not disputing that any of this is not true, but I do want to stretch beyond the phrase the "only way." Writing centers will not escape the stigma just by claiming king of the mountain. Writing centers also must enter into a productive dialogue within the larger rhet/comp community. Writing centers must create a professional community of English department professors, writing center administrators, and writing center tutors in order to build a community that can wholly serve a college or university. Educators of all kinds must learn to work together or else our petty differences will continue to hurt and alienate students. And after all, isn't education about the STUDENT? The "future of America" - those young men and women that will run this rock when we have steely blue permed hair and are tucked away in a home? But again, I digress and so will step off my soapbox. For now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) I apologize for the lengthy format of my most recent post. Blogspot/Blogger and I battled, and I think I lost.

    B) To uphold the goals I have for my previously established personal blog, I have posted (and will continue to post) episodes and versions of my literacy narrative on my blog. I would like to invite everyone to visit www.kevinandcrae.com, go to Ink Blots, and then Visions and (Re)Visions. Please feel free to browse other sections of the site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've created a blog, if anyone is interested. It is http://jamiesmithrt.blogspot.com. There's not much there yet, but it is a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some more riffing . . . I think once any institution, department, center, (yes, including us) adopts a term, metaphor, method, whatever, there is a danger of institutionalizing, and in effect cementing, that term. Soon there will be a right way and a wrong way to "make better writers, not better writing." What to make of this, I am still deciding. I like to think that tutors, teachers, and students can take x institutionalized process and make it their own outside of the institution, or find freedom within the inevitable limitations. Not that I am in any way opposed to change once static terms and proccesses lose their usefulness.

    ReplyDelete